Wednesday, July 13, 2005

The Forbidden City

Tian Ann-men square, home of the emperor of China. This has become a very popular tourist destination. Standing there for the very first time in my life, I felt very close to my roots. My grand father was born in China. He went to Sabah to look for his fortune in 1908. My father was born in Malaysia and so was I. We have relatives in China; but we have lost all contacts with them. I took my family to live in NZ in 1995. Today my sons are living in Australia. Hakka ngin are not well known for staying in one place for too long!

1 comment:

Sheiladot said...

Have you been to Taiwan at all? Our son went for a year in 1997; stayed for 7, fell in love with the people; met the girl; came home for two years and married her; went back and is working in Taipei - Chun Kai (Stacey!) and he have a small Kai aged 2 and a half. The country and the mountains - spectacular. And there are Hakkas there too!

Beijing

Christine and I made our first visit to China in April 2001. We joined a tour group in KL.

Shanghai
We visited China a second time in 2010. This trip was to find my wife's roots in Jejiang, Shanghai.